Numsa held not only a successful strike but a protected strike across its 9 regions in South Africa on Wednesday 19 2014.
In Gauteng, the march was held at Zoo lake, and proceeded to Rosebank to deliver a memorandum of demands to Nedlac, Department of Treasury,Department of Labour and Department of Trade and Industry.
Below are some of the key demands:
- macro-economic policies that increase the demand for labour such as a tax system that penalises companies who pay out dividends instead of reinvesting in job-creating activities.
- credit and the lowering of the cost of capital for job-creating companies and sectors.
- a move beyond public works programmes to public-sector employment programmmes
- train apprentices, learners, experiential learners and interns to achieve qualifications.
- a job-seekers grant or a basic income grant instead of a subsidy for employers.
Click the link to view some of the march images